Cyber Smart Children's
- CYBER ETHICS
- PSYCHOLOGY OF SOCIAL NETWORKING
- ONLINE PERPETUATORS AND DEALING
- STRIKING THE BALANCE
We know you love browsing the net, interacting on social networking sites, downloading your favorite songs and playing online games. Well before you get started it is important for you to understand about using and abusing the net. Here is a list of what to do and what not to do on the Internet.
WHAT TO DO
WHAT NOT TO DO
Once you follow the above you can be proud for you are officially CYBER ETHICAL. Cyber Ethics basically refers to the etiquette which has to be followed while using the Internet. It is important to practice them for a healthy and safe online life.
Creating a cyber smart generation is the need of the hour. In a world torn apart by cyber crimes and large scale victimization of children, cyber ethics is the way to go
Cyber ethics basics
1. It is a virtual world
The Internet might seem a fantasy world to children and teens. Teach them to draw lines between the real world and electronic world. People they come across here necessarily need not be genuine as they appear. Relationships made here can be as dynamic as the Internet itself.
2. Emphasis on mutual respect
All the values you uphold in real life are applicable even while interacting on the Internet. Encourage them to develop a sense of equality and dignity for their counterparts. Discourage them from using foul language, abusive words and importantly bullying people. At the same time emphasis on the fact that they should not give away their trust easily to the people they meet over the net.
3. Personal is confidential
Discuss the risks of disclosing personal information on the net. This is just not confined to their personal information alone, in a broader perspective it even includes information of their friends and family. Teach your child to respect others sentiments and emotions even when they are on the net. Posting something sensitive or personal about a loved one could put their safety at risk or may even emotionally hurt them.
4. Do's & don'ts
As children they necessarily they remain unaware regarding the scope of the Internet. It is definitely a wonderful tool in enhancing knowledge and is a great source of Internet. But safety here can run into risk if not cautioned. Discuss regarding what is right and what is wrong on the Internet so that your child is well aware and equipped with the right knowledge while browsing.
5. When it comes to using the Internet, discuss with your child and fix on a particular time that can be used for Internet usage. Excessive usage of any commodity or service is harmful, same goes with the Internet.
6. Equip your child to use safety tools such as the security suite (anti virus, anti spyware etc).While using social networking sites teach them to block people and report people in case a cybercriminal is disturbing them.
FOR THE SOCIAL NETWORK SAVY
We all love being on a social network. It helps us meet up our good old friends. We like being liked. It helps in catching up with what each of our friends is up to and what not. But are these social networking sites all happy and glossy??? Is there nothing we need to be careful and cautioned about.
The 10 pointer for healthy social networking
1. Protect your accounts with strong passwords.
2. Maintain different passwords for different accounts, because in case one of your passwords gets stolen you don't run into the risk of losing all your passwords.
3. Before signing up for any social networking site, understand their privacy and terms.
4. Stay vigilant while adding friends.
5. Think twice before you post on your social networking sites; do not disclose sensitive information regarding yourself or your family.
6. Do not disclose information such as address, phone numbers and other personal information unless you are sure of the authenticity.
7. Stay vigilant while uploading pictures.
8. Do not add strangers
9. In case you come across any obscene message ignore that person by blocking them.
10. Log out after each session.
FOR THE CHAT LOVER
Chatting is awesome and probably one of the easiest ways to shoo off boredom. Who does not love to talk?? The cute smileys and emoticons provide chatting with a whole new experience. Here is a list of things you should keep in mind while chatting. Let us together make chatting healthy.
1. Do not chat with strangers. Chat rooms have plenty of fraudulent people. For example a 30 year old man could disguise as a 13 year old girl and claiming of having seen you in school when in reality he should be hearing your name for the first time.
2. Do not exchange photos of family or friends in chat rooms because miscreants are capable of misusing pictures by morphing and later threatening you.
3. In case you receive threatening or obscene messages, ignore the message, block the sender and report to your parents. As much as you are careful about child abusers in real life you need to be more cautioned about them online.
4. Do not click on random links sent by strangers for they could contain virus or invite bigger trouble
5. Do not meet up face to face even if you have managed to befriend a stranger online
ONLINE PERPETUATORS AND DEALING WITH THEM
Cyber criminal are today very common. So here are tip on how to deal with each of these. Are you a victim of cybercrime????Realise, Recognise and Resolve
1. If your password has been stolen.
2. If you receive obscene or threatening messages or images
3. If a stranger is stalking you online
4. If you have come across fraudulent identities online
It is not too late; you can still deal with the evil forces.......
Some cyber bullies can go to any extent hence it is important to bring any such uncomfortable conversation to the knowledge of your parents.
They are those people who are sexually inclined to children just like the child abusers in real life.
Paedophiles are highly dangerous as they are there to exploit your innocence. Do not encourage such people at any cost. They resort to threatening and bribing children for their advantage. This is why meeting up online friends is never encouraged. The motives of the people you meet up in chat rooms is always one up to question.
STRIKING THE BALANCE
Excessive of anything is harmful; the same is applicable to the Internet.